Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pepani

Pepani means "I'm sorry" in Chichewa, and it is used to express sympathy with you when something is not working out. It is very commonly used.

Thursday:
-Delivering my car to the workshop for changing the ignition plugs
-The plug wires have melted into the engine due to a prior overheating. Half of the engine has to go out.
When opening the engine it looks like someone has cooked porridge and burned it inside. It has to be cleaned. The whole operation will take several days.
-I have to go to Lilongwe the next day to pick up a shipment from DHL and a project meeting at the Norwegian embassy.
-Sille kindly agrees to borrow her car to us so we can go to Lilongwe.
-Later the same day Sille's car also has a problem, so she will have to take it to the workshop the next day.
-I rent a car from the owner of the gas station in Nkhotakota for the equivalent amount of six months salary in Malawi.

Friday:
-We wake up at 05:30 to go to Lilongwe and get there in time.
-When I come to the gas station to pick up the car it is not ready. I have to wait an hour.
-I drive like crazy from Nkhotakota to Lilongwe to be able to pick up my DHL shipment before the Embassy meeting.
-When I get to DHL, the package is not there. I had talked to them and told them five times at what time I would come and that I needed the package to be ready.
-I have to drive another hour back and forth to the airport to fetch the package.
-I scream and shout and promise myself to never use DHL  again (this was only the last part of a lot of fuss for several weeks with this shipment with DHL), and to never involve in international trade again in Malawi.
-My meeting with the Embassy is postponed for an hour.
-The locks on the doors of the rental car stops working and I can only lock from the inside. Luckily I can still unlock from the outside so I can still use the car.
-I go to the meeting, and after some personal shopping to the hotel.
-Someone tells me that the registration plates of our rental car are false and that we must expect to be stopped by the police any time.
-The rental car does not have front lights. We are stuck in the hotel, which is in a little remote location.
-Luckily the hotel has a restaurant so we can eat before we go to sleep.

Saturday:
-We wake up at 07:30 to be able to have time to go to do all the things I have to do that day.
-I go to purchase a long list of things that I need for the project I'm working with in the unbearable Area Two in Lilongwe.
-When I am inside of a shop away from the rental car for five minutes, someone breaks in to it and steal copper cables worth an equivalent of six months normal salary in Malawi
-I go to the police station to give my statement.
-I drive the police officer and a friend out to the scene of the crime because they say they need to investigate before they can prepare a report.
-I am told to come and meet the officer on Sunday morning at nine to pick up the report so I can present it to the insurance company.
-I do the rest of the purchases.
-We go to the hotel
-We hire a man with a car to drive us out to a restaurant to eat and have some drinks with some friends. There are no official taxis in Malawi (only bicycle taxis).

Sunday:
-We wake up early to go to the police station so that we can finalise the business and go to Nkhotakota before it gets dark.
-When I get to the police station the officer who promised to meet me there is not there.
-The officer in charge is not in, so I can appearantly not get a signed report.
-I manage to convince a person to start typing up the report while we wait for the officer in charge to come.
-There is a blackout, so the report cannot be typed in or printed anyway.
- The woman who agreed to type in the report admits that it is quite probable that the officer in charge will not get in today anyway.
-I give up and drive back to Nkhotakota.

Djuda, the woman in the police station who agreed to type up the report. She was not very helpful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pepani Trygve

Thomas said...

Pepani, pepani abambo! TIM...

Trygve said...

I forgot to mention a few things:
Thursday: When we get to Lilongwe, we find out that one of the colleagues riding from our organization, riding in the back seat, have been eating eggs and throwing the egg shell all over the back seat.
Saturday: On the way back from the bar, we are stopped by the police. The police officer asks me to step out of the car (the pirate taxi), and starts investigating the back seat for things he can bother me with. Of course he does not find anything, upon which he asks to see the inside of Leiry's handbag. Leiry answers "NO", the police asks "Why?" and Leiry answers "I am a lawyer, I know my rights". Then he gives up on Leiry and comes out and asks me where we are going. I say the name of the hotel. He asks me if I am the owner. I say no. He asks what I am doing in Malawi. I answer, in uppercase letters "I WORK IN AN ORGANIZATION, TRYING TO HELP MALAWI". The officer grunts out "You can go". We go.
Sunday: When we arrive to Nkhotakota, we find that the bill for repairing out car is of 157,000 kwacha, equivalent to close to a year of average salary in Malawi. We also find out that the "rental agency" of course expects us to cover the cost of repairing the damage to the car window and the keyhole which has also been tampered with during the break-in.

I think that summarizes that weekend.

Unknown said...

Pepani, pepani! I know the feeling...