Thursday, September 11, 2014

Hell yeah, we have won an award!

I think I have reason to be a little bit proud today - the company that I am working with (and, to some extent, I have created) has won the "SEED Africa Award" for being a very promising enterprise in social and sustainable entrepeneurship in Africa. The price is a lot of fame, consultancy in further developing the business plan and five thousand dollars to develop the company further.

That said, even without the award I am very proud of Kumudzi Kuwale. Since I came here in January, the company has grown from one part-time to now twelve employees. And most importantly: Good employees! Some have the impression that Malawians are lazy and not very well educated, but these guys are a really hard-working crew. Not to speak about the things we work with. I can see it in the eyes of my colleagues - they can feel that they are doing something important, coming to work every day with a smile even after knocking off late the day before. Something is happening in our small office - I think I can say that we are changing Malawi - at least we are starting. People are starting to notice Kumudzi Kuwale, and I can hear people passing by the office exclaim "Kumudzi Kuwale, eeee", assertively acknowledging that here is something that is finally helping Nkhotakota to come forward.

Winning an award now is the result of a few years of work, in an FK Norway-sponsored project, with contributions from the Norwegian FK participants and a lot of effort from the staff of Nkhotakota Youth Organisation to map out the energy needs in off-grid villages and later starting up the company which is now Kumudzi Kuwale Limited. Since I came, we have also been so lucky that we have capital to start developing models for electrification of villages in Nkhotakota, granted by The Royal Norwegian Embassy of Malawi. Thanks to all of you, and I hope that we will show us worthy of this award in the future - bringing power, empowerment and employment to the people in Nkhotakota and soon the rest of Malawi.

Me and some of my colleagues from Kumudzi Kuwale in our office. A great crew, worthy of an award!


No comments: