Thursday, October 16, 2014

Italy as seen from the eyes of a turist from Malawi

I have taken a week off from work in Malawi to go and visit my wife in Florence, Italy.

Before going to Italy I was dreaming about how it would be: Wine, tons of tasty food, architecture, art... I have been here before, but sitting on the very basic countryside in Malawi imagining Italy became like a dream to me. How had they managed to build all those cathedrals? The cities, the roads, the railroads, the museums? From Nkhotakota it seemed amazing, like the result of a miracle. I thought I would do nothing more than stare with wide eyes and an open mouth for the ten days in Italy.

Now that I'm here I know that there was no shock in the end. I never caught myself with my mouth open and I quickly adapted my regular ignorant manner of strolling by amazing buildings and cathedrals without even lifting my eyebrows. But I anyway appreciate the perspective that my dreams of Italy seen from Malawi had given me.

No comments: