Sunday, December 14, 2014

The smiles

"Smiling is like breathing to us"
        - suggested explanation on why Malawians smile so much.

The big and frequent malawian smiles are to me a clear indication that happiness and material wealth are quite uncorrelated human forms of richness. I think about that now during the Christmas season while I see on Facebook that gifts are being purchased and wrapped to industrial scales back home - and I feel that all I really want for Christmas is to bring back with me the smiles of Malawi to my family and friends, and just keep smiling.



So these are some of the smiles of my year in Malawi. Real smiles, not "smile to the camera"-smiles. I think I have seen millions of them the last year, and of course the best smiles have never been captured on camera.

No comments: