Sunday, February 02, 2014

New in town - Surprises and challenges

Sitting in the car en route to Lilongwe after four days living in Nkhotakota, I have a feeling that the first chapter of my new life in Malawi is over. It has been a busy one, especially on the private side.

The house I arrived to live in was quite amess (to my taste), so the first few days was spent getting that situation under control. I had to through out a ton of old stuff left over from a German guy that used to live there about six months ago, Doom-spray a few cockcroaches every day (maybe I'll have to get used to that), and get in some experts for cleaning up. The worst however was probably to fire the former housemaid. I was told that it was time to change her, because of a few less fortunate things that had happened, and the obvious fact that she was doing a terrible job keep the place neat and clean. I went through a morning with discussions, excuses, her rolling around on the floor in tears and the following consolation. I honestly didn't feel good about it at all. Then she denounced me for the Labour Office and I had to present my case for an official there the next day. Anyhow it seems to be OK now, and I hope for her that she finds a new job and that she has also learned something from all of this. I have definitely learned something, and probably lost my Norwegian innocence already.

Jobwise the week was spent learning about how things work, and evaluation applications for the two announced jobs in Kumudzi Kuwale. We've got a lot of good applicants, and it will be exiting to get the company up and running with real employees and new and bigger projects.

Now for a weekend break in Lilongwe, getting some things done there and meeting up with a few of the guys we met at the FK Norway prep course last week. And my wife will come on Sunday!

Next chapter of my life will bring new surprises, and I'm sure it will be mostly good. And I'm looking very much forward to sharing the life in Nkhotakota for the rest of the year with Leiry.

The Malawian landscape we are driving through is just so extraordinarily green. I have no problems with that. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a blog fan here.
Your sister in law

Anonymous said...

Hi Trygve. It is really interesting to follow your everyday life in Malawi, and it is good to know that you are finally settled and ready to face the professional challenges. Nice landscape by the way, what kinda of season is it in Malawi at the present? Looking forward to more of your adventures on this blog :-) Best regards from Norway, Chang.