Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The time you need to take

Having a busy job, little free time and a car, I seldom get the chance to take in the real Malawi. Of course I live in it all the time, but a storm of thoughts and a wall of self reminders occupy my mind. I travel by car, and in weekends and holidays it takes me efficiently from one mzungu place to the next. I always thought that a car gives you the freedom to travel wherever you want and stop whenever you feel like it, but it might not be the best option always. Sometimes you'd better stop in the places you never even considered stopping.

This weekend I was coming home from my mzungu hangout in Nkhata Bay and for once I chose to take public transport. In spite of the slogan of the AXA bus service "punctual, reliable, friendly", the bus we were waiting for never came. So we ended up waiting four hours at the roadblock in Nkhata Bay, a place I would never have considered stopping if I were in my car. But so many others do, and it's a piece of Malawi I had never experienced. I liked it. And after four hours another bus came and we made it back to Nkhotakota safely.

No comments: